AGP: Game Design – Week 2

Class 2 Assignment: Production

Using the textures you created in the previous week, import these into Unity and create your own unique game terrain and objects in that world. Post screenshots to the EdEx showing what you’ve created, and explain the world in which your game exists.

Remember, in Class 1 we covered the basics of how to submit an assignment:

• You can’t submit your Class 2 assignment until you check off all the steps for the Class 2 workshop. Then the Submit Assignment button will appear.
  • Create your own unique game terrain and add your objects. Post screenshots showing your creation.
  • Come back to EdEx and click the Submit Assignment button.
  • Post your reflection (prompt below).
  • Review at least three participant assignments.

Class 2 Assignment: Reflection prompt

You’re required to submit a brief self-certifying reflection for Class 2. As in Class 1, use the Reflection box to type a thoughtful reflection (100–150 words) on Class 2. Consider responding to one or more of the following prompts:

• What was your experience of trying to build your world? What was easy? Hard? What surprised you? What did you wish you could have done that you could not?
  • How might you use what you’ve learned in this class?
  • What new understandings or questions do you have after Live Class 2?

Full Response

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 15.11.38

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 15.10.55

Screen Shot 2015-11-20 at 15.13.54

Reflection

Welcome to Rugged Island! I wanted to create an island that featured a mixture of friendly and inhospitable terrain. This is thinking about how I would control a players movements through the narrative of the scene. I carved a path through the central mountain in order for the player to be able to reach the rest of the supply crates at the other side of the island (see final screen shot). To encourage the player to head in the correct direction, I have used the ‘mud-rock’ texture exclusively as a “path” texture.

I come from quite an advanced background using the Unreal Engine (versions 1, 2 and now 4). Although Unreal produces much better looking results, I am impressed with how quickly and easily you can learn Unity with very little background knowledge into 3D. I am looking at ways of integrating game engine development into my programme of study at work. I wanted to use Unreal because I am familiar with it, but I am tempted to suggest Unity instead because of its ease of use. Plus the learning materials of this course have done an awesome job for the beginner. I’m impressed all around.